Monday, March 24, 2008

an ode to my blackberry

for the first time since i started owning cell phones (first one was a motorola circa 1993, the one that looks like an ice shaver number then was 0912-400-1434. service was provided by mobiline), i lost one less than two weeks ago during a trip to south beach.

my boss asked me on the third day that i had no phone how it felt like. i replied, "liberating". indeed it was. but only for a time.

then i realized how dependent i have become on my phone, my blackberry. it was my alarm clock, my watch, sometimes my camera. i had three email addresses diverted to this phone. i used it as a browser. i played games in it.

back in the day, i memorized numbers and i did them well. despite the numerous area codes to consider, i would memorize a lot of numbers - friends', families', restaurants !!!), moviehouse, coffeehouse. that was about a decade ago.

when my cell phone spoiled me by saving all my contact details in its neat address book, my brain cells decided to go on semi-retirement. that's why i could not call anyone when my cell was lost. there was only one number i memorized and know by heart: my office number. lesson learned: keep a back up address book. how? i want to know.

i'll get my new one within the week. in the meantime, let me enjoy my liberating moments.

No comments: