Monday, February 11, 2008

"there is a way to be good again"

not that i ever strayed to the other side. i'd like to think that i've always been good. generally speaking that is.

the statement above is one of the many memorable phrases/sentences i learned/picked up from this book called "the kite runner". i bought it around spring 07 and unfortunately, i did not find time to read it. i've been meaning to but my schedule during the past year has been erratic, to say the least.

i picked the book up from a stack of unread books just before i flew to manila last december. i thought i had time to read it. then on my way back last january, i saw it and it made me think: should i just leave it here? if i bring this back, will i be able to read it? i put it in my hand-carry, just in case i find time.

and i did. the book is a page-turner and i could not put it down. i finished about half and i feared that i won't be able to finish reading it. when i got back, i noticed that they were playing the film the kite runner (i did not even know that a film was in the works!) in the cineplex near the apartment. that pushed me to finish reading. i want to watch the film and see if it is at all comparable to the book.

i regret not reading the book earlier. it's one of the best stories i've read in a long time. it's raw, engaging, vivid, stirring, stunning, shocking - all rolled into one. it's also emotional. i found myself shedding tears while reading. not once, not twice. yes, the book is packed with an emotional wallop that hits you where it matters most.

khaled hosseini delivered a very good debut novel. i'm in awe.

next up is his second book - a thousand splendid suns - which i intend to start reading this week. a belated new year's resolution (i don't do resolutions!). i should read one book every two weeks. nope, i don't think that is doable. one book a month? that's more likely, given my tight working schedule.

12 books for 2008! hahaha. if i do more, then woohoo for me. if i do less, then boo!

2 comments:

Lightheaded said...

I read this one early last year and it made me cry as well. Really moving and powerful and raw and all the other things you mentioned.

I've yet to start on A Thousand Splendid Suns though.

Happy reading! I'll do the reading for you since I'm not busy at all. Hahaha!

Anonymous said...

Brod... sumakit ang ulo ko doon sa background colour ng blog mo! Lovely shade of blue but it was too much for me.

Hay... I still have 2 books awaiting to be completed. I don't know when I'll have the motivation to continue. My bad, really!