Sunday, January 28, 2007

Dateline Guam

We’re here in Guam for a “technical stop,” according to the PAL captain who has been disrupting my sleep with his on-air announcements. I don’t know how long this is going to take us.

I am seated somewhere in the 60s, beside a mom and her possibly 2-year-old daughter. And on the same row a few seats away, my office-mates mom and her (office-mate’s, not the mom’s) 3-year-old daughter). A few rows up (same section) is a toddler. Sometime during the flight, one of them cried and lo and behold, the two other kids began crying too.

Not too long ago, on a flight from Manila to Los Angeles, I got a seat somewhere in the 30s area. Just behind the First Class people. Back then, I saw a couple of young children in the section and during the flight, yes, that’s what children do, they began crying and boy did they really cry out loud.

Anyhow, back to me. I became quite irritated because this kid from hell did not want to be appeased. She just wanted to cry and cry and cry and make her mom look like a desperate bitch. Anyhow, being sensitive to her plight, I didn’t show my irritation. Then, it happened. The kid vomited. In a few seconds, the smell of vomit wafted inside our section. I don’t know if it ever reached the other sections but it was pretty toxic. Had I not controlled hard, I would have hurled vomit myself because of the nasty smell making it though my lungs. I was nauseous. I am nauseous as I type this because I can still smell the lingering smell.

I’m going to try to sleep again after this, and hope that when I wake up, I’m already in Manila.

No comments: