Friday, March 31, 2006

'philippines' on my tv

and no, i am not talking about my subscription to TFC.

mention of the 'philippines' happen only on cnn, msnbc and the other major news networks here if there are a) natural calamities; b) man-made calamities; c) coup plots and d) a combination of sorts so it was a welcome surprise for me tonight when i tuned in to my idiot box and catch a mention of dear old philippines not once, but twice!

first up was on will and grace. and it went like this:

guest (to karen walker): and where is your husband?
karen walker: my husband is in the philippines. i love filipinos. they are asians but they are not cocky.

hah!

on The OC. oliver called me up to tell me that a friend of his is appearing on the show. and he asked me to go to fox' website to 'rave' about his friend's role so it would become recurring.

mrs. cooper (to maid, who looks perplexed): vamonos. (and a host of spanish words, she was obviously in the frame of mind that her maid is mexican, or latina in general)
maid: (in a heavily accented twang) i am from the philippines!

whopee! a filipina character on tv! a filipina actress playing the role of a filipina maid in newport beach! how realistic! it would've been better if the role was for a nurse. but then, the OC does not need a nurse. i know which shows need nurses, lots of them. grey's anatomy!

No comments: